Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pinterest Inspired Me......




Pinterest.  I love it.  I have left Facebook and devoted myself utterly to the inspiration of Pinterest.  The 4 pictures above are just a few of the projects that I have completed due only to pins I found on Pinterest.  I have come back to this blog that I started in 2009 and never continued, solely for the purpose of posting projects I have completed on Pinterest (I might be giving myself an online high five, but so be it).  I had a pumpkin decorating party that was so much fun nobody ate anything, we just drank a lot and painted a bunch of creative and AWESOME pumpkins.  The bat pumpkin my son is holding up is motivated by a pin, but a variation I created using basic black spray paint, white paint for the face, purple puff paint for the wing decorations and a cereal box for the wings themselves.  If you use the cereal box cardboard, please note you can't put it outside in the humidity of the southern climates, it will curl and your creation will look, well, not like a bat.  This little bat has sat proudly in the foyer of my son's daycare this past October.
My favorite Pinterest project, though, is this display that I created for my son's 80 plus Lego figures.  I saw a cool display idea on Pinterest, but it did not include any kind of directions, and I am pretty sure some really bored adult Lego fan glued 4x4 white lego blocks to a white wall at equal intervals-yeah, so not doing that to my walls!  So here is my easy-peasy mostly wall-friendly solution:

Purchase one piece of PVC white lattice lath 1/4" x 2" x 8' and cut into 24" sections.
Purchase white 4 x 4 basic lego blocks from lego dot com.
Purchase a package of 20' Velcro with sticky back, be sure your package contains both the hook and loop portions.

Measure and mark with pencil the intervals you would like to place the lego men.  I have one section of 24" lattice with a lego man every 1", this was too close, so the rest are at least 2" apart to allow room for weapons in lego hands, etc.

Carefully super glue each 4 x 4 lego piece at the corresponding mark on the lattice, a very, very small drop of glue will do, trust me!  After all the pieces are in place, go back and erase the pencil marks.

Measure where you would like to place the lattice sections on the wall.  Stick the velcro hook or loop at the placements you have selected.  I opted to place the hook portion on the wall, as I have a feeling my ten year old son will take down a whole section of lego men to play with, and I don't want velcro hook pieces grabbing at whatever surface he might lay them on.......Place the other velcro "mate" on the back of the lattice and mount on the wall, and you are "good to go".  Disclaimer:  I have not directly tested what the velcro will do to my wall when I want to peel it off, but my reasons for using it were: to allow my son to play with the pieces as he wanted, I didn't want to use any of the other more destructive construction adhesives, and  I did not want to deal with nail holes in the wall or the lattice pieces......

No comments:

Post a Comment